April 30th, 2022
Legend Fires North West Stages to run in 2024
The Legend Fires North West Stages organising team can confirm that the event will next run on Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd March 2024, and will once again be based in and around the Wyre and Garstang areas with Myerscough College as the event headquarters.
The decision not to run in 2023 took into account several significant factors:
- The personal resource and commitment required to organise a closed road rally is immense, but absolutely necessary in order to put on a top-class event. The team’s experience is that the time and effort involved does not get any easier year on year but is resolute that previous standards should be maintained.
- The event has a reputation for being a challenging and evolving rally. The 2022 stages met that brief, and the team must look to develop the route further to ensure that the event not only maintains its standing but continues to develop and grow.
- The view of residents on the closed roads must be central to our planning. We are fortunate to have overwhelming support from residents, Parish Councils, Town Councils, City Councils and Borough Councils. We do however recognise that not all residents welcome road closures to accommodate motor sport, and we need to take a fair and balanced view on what is acceptable in terms of disruption in order to maintain the support of the majority.
- The success and increasing popularity of the event brings about additional challenges such as spectator viewing areas, access and parking. This in itself is a significant logistical project, oh, to be able to find 1,000 parking spaces close to Beacon Fell for example.
- The cost of running the event is substantial and with two closed road events under our belt, the potential financial risk to the club is clear and cannot be underestimated. In order to protect the future of both the rally and of Motorsport (North West) Limited, it is incumbent on the team to revisit the finances and revise and improve the current business model.
The organisers are fully committed to the ongoing future of the event, but in order to achieve its aims and objectives has concluded that we do not have the capacity to complete the tasks required within the timescales laid down for a closed road application for a 2023 event. For many this will obviously be a disappointing decision but hopefully one that people will understand and appreciate the reasoning behind. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the stage teams, marshals, safety crews and everyone involved in the enormously successful 2022 rally and hope that you are able to support us in the future.
We look forward to seeing everyone back in Lancashire in 2024.